Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Work is Fun(ny)

I have been following up my UP clearance for weeks now. Almost everyday, I tried calling up the clearance hotline but just I couldn't connect. Out of the 2 local line numbers given, one seems to be always busy, and the other rings but no one answers.

Yesterday afternoon, I tried my luck calling again. The 'always busy line' finally connected with a ring on the other side (now that's a first). Someone picked it up, and since I was the caller I waited for the 'hello' answer. For about 20 seconds, there was no reply then I heard a doubtful 'hello' coming from a not-so-old woman's voice. From then, I said my hello and fired away with my clearance follow-up question.

Unexpectedly, the woman on the other line shrieked. It turned out that at the same time I called, the woman picked up the phone intending to call somebody. I think she was not actually a Registrar staff since she put me on hold and called another person to answer my queries. The woman, whom I can hear from the background, even told the staff she thought I was an 'aswang' for pouncing her on the telephone. They should not blame me for having a phone that does not ring. No wonder my previous calls were left unanswered. If only I've known, I could have imitated the icy 'bhooooooot' ym audible to give her a real scare. Anyway, the reg staff says I'm now cleared. yey! (transcript and diploma to go!)

=================
Yesterday, Adrian, the company's first hired engineer (I thought it was me, later found out I'm just 2nd, hehe) just came back from his business trip to Japan. At the same time, it was also Cyril's (new hire) first day at work. All in all, our company is already 7 engineers strong. woohooo!(hahaha). Together with Ms.Tina, our General Affairs Manager, we had our very first company 'outing' err... lunch which we had at Barrio Fiesta.

Adrian is also a UP alumnus who had an undergrad degree of Computer Science then later on took MTM(Masters in Technical Management) in TMC(same bldg with ASTI). He worked under CiTech(Canon) for about 5 years, Lexmark(about a year?) and now is also a Bridge Engineer assigned at A-Link(Japan).

Adrian reported to our office to brief me and Elvin-san prior to our soon-to-be departure. Aside from the instructions and tips, he was also sharing his funny experiences in Japan. Adrian barely finished Minna No Nihongo book 1, which means his Nihongo knowledge was still inadequate.

One time, Adrian wanted to order softdrinks; thus told the waiter he wanted 'Softo'. Lately did he realize that 'Softo' means software in Japanese. 'Kola' is the apt term for softdrinks. He shared so many bloopers, which he refers to as 'kalokohan', that we had such a laughtrip in the office the whole afternoon. Since he had no companion in Japan, he usually just laughed at himself alone, which I think made him go loco a bit.

Next time, I would be the one doing those sort of 'kalokohan' in Japan.

Labels:

posted by ScIoN 1:13 PM


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

ScIoN is a former Systems Engineer in Japan who specialized in industrial imaging and digital hardware design. He is now back in the Philippines pursuing graduate studies in Finance at the University of the Philippines - Diliman.



Tag



Links


|Argel| |Charity| |Cholle| |Danes| |Dean| |Det| |Dyan| |Elma| |Fil| |Jeric| |Joe A.| |Kir| |Liz| |May| |May & Glenn| |Nino| |Norman| |PaU| |Rex| |Islander| |Yugs|

comments

Recent Posts


2 Weeks Notice
Nosebleed Everyday
He Who Has Not Read It Yet
[Food] Trip to Chinatown
Tennis Weekends
Download Kupaloid
That Alumni Feeling
Office Space
None of the Above
A Tale of Two Offers

Archive


July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009

Credits


[Powered by Blogger]